Thursday, June 10, 2010

"Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend." Laertius Diogenes

800m or four minutes - that is the approximate distance/time between my apartment front door and nearest metro platform. You'd think after living here for more than four months it's a journey I'd have down pat, but in fact I am notorious for not allowing enough travel time in the mornings. I've lost count the amount of times I've been caught running along the footpath, awkwardly balancing a massive bag full of books and with passersby looking on in bewilderment. Or perhaps running the gauntlet or 'rat race' as I like to call it during rush hour at Mustek (one of the three metro transfer stations), in an attempt to catch a connecting train. More often than not I'll make it, usually jumping on board just moments before the doors close. If not then it's not long before another will soon arrive, rumbling through the metallic-coloured, 'bubble-wrapped' walls of the tunnel. Screeching to a halt, the doors spring open and I join a sea of people leaving and entering the red and grey carriages - this is Prague public transport for you!


Prague Transport Network


And what an impressive transport system it is, easily rivalling many of the world's biggest cities. Comprised of metros, trams and buses, it is a network that moves thousands daily using nearly 2000 vehicles*. The metro is the very heart of the system, which operates on 3 lines (A: Green, B: Yellow and C: Red) and utilizes 54 stations on just over 59km of track*. Buried deep underground, it is the quickest and most efficient way to travel around the city. A tram network of 26 daytime and 9 night routes, covering an overall distance of approximately 559km*, compliments the metro transport system. It is also joined by the operation of some 182 daytime and 13 night bus routes, covering approximately 2 123km*.


It is a network that I have quickly grown to love and rely heavily on. Before moving overseas I parted with my beloved little, silver car. It was a rather sad occasion not only as it was my first vehicle, but also because it represented my first taste of independence. Despite its loss I am yet to really miss it. I believe this is entirely due to my non-existent need for a car here in Prague, where inhabitants have access to a world-class, integrated transport system. Below are just some of the reasons why I think it is so great...


Frequency


During the week, particularly at the busiest times of day, you never have to wait too long between transport. At peak times metros run every 2-3minutes, and trams and buses on main routes run every few minutes. The frequency is a godsend and has saved me on numerous occasions when I have failed to allow 'adequate' travel time. Granted, the weekend transport schedule is not as frequent (Sunday metro waits stretch out to a whole 9 minutes!) but in any case Prazaks tend to be much more relaxed and carefree once the weekend comes around!



Affordability

Back home in Australia you could easily spend around $30-$35 (sometimes even more, depending on the distance/number of people) on a cab fare after a night out on the town. For the same price, a monthly pass gives me unlimited use of all three forms of transport (metro, trams and buses). Yes you read that right- not a day or week but a whole MONTH's worth of travel. Given the highly sociable Prague lifestyle and abundance of pubs, bars and clubs on offer I have, effectively, already saved myself hundreds of dollars!



Ease and Simplicity


I have been fortunate to travel to and consequently trial many other European cities' transport systems, and when comparing them to Prague's I always come to the same conclusion - Prague's trumps them. While it did take me a little while to familiarize myself with the network (let's not forget you have a new language to overcome as well!) one thing I've come to appreciate is it's ease and simplicity. Up-to-date bus and tram timetables and routes are signposted at each stop and each metro station has the direction of travel and route clearly marked. If, say for example, you can't take a particular bus/tram/metro then an alternative route or mode of transport is easily found. I especially notice this when returning back from travels, it is a real comfort to know that I can confidently navigate myself around town.


Cleanliness and Character


Yet another aspect I love is the transport system's cleanliness and character. Given the number of people it serves on a daily basis, the majority of the network's vehicles and stations are in immaculate condition. As for character, the metro provides plenty. I mentioned earlier on about the 'metallic-coloured, bubble-wrapped walls' of the Mustek station. It's architecture is consistent with all of the stations on the Green line, whose facades vary in colour and can best be described as giant metallic 'bubble-wrap'. The Red and Yellow lines may not be decorated in such an avant-garde fashion, but are also rather quaint with their unique tiled walls.


What's more, waiting for the next metro at many major stations is never a bore with large screens to entertain you. In the corner a clock counts down to the next train and various advertisements are displayed. But what I most look forward to is seeing the hilarious, cartoon 'public service announcements'. Although I often can't read the text, it's not hard to work out the messages they broadcast. Adorable little cartoon characters depicting 'inconsiderate' people such as drunks, the homeless and rowdy teenagers intermittently appear. Text flashes afterwards in what I can only assume to be something along the lines of "Please be considerate of other passengers..."


Night Services


The final reason I love Prague public transport is the provision of adequate night services. The metro stops at midnight and doesn't start back up until around 5am, but there are a number of night trams and buses on offer. Again while they are not frequent (usually one every half an hour) and serve different routes, they are reliable and cover many areas. I have had many-a-fun nights trying to navigate myself back home after a night out. It's not always the funnest when the temperature is freezing but it sure beats waiting in a ridiculously long cab line or for a bus that may/may not come!


So while I endeavour to work on my time management skills, it is good to know that in the meantime I can rely on Prague's exceptional, highly-efficient and integrated public transport system!


Australian in Prague


* As of 31 December 2006, source: http://www.dpp.cz/en/company-profile/


The 3 lines of the Prague Metro system


Jiriho Z Podebrad - one of the 'metallic, bubble-wrapped' 
stations on the Green Line.

2 comments:

  1. Hello S. you have certainly immersed yourself in your new adopted Country and this reflects very much in your written accounts.Your honest writing give a complete non watered down feeling,which is refreshing to read.Well done keep it up.

    Regards SJW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi S,
    it's nice to read good about PID! Just FYI> There are few new stations on "C-red line" named "Leťnany", "Prosek" and "Střížkov". Architecture of these stations are also amazing - but its different compare it with "bubble-wrapped" stations from communist's era :-)

    ReplyDelete